Oregon will receive $1.6 billion that it can use for infrastructure investments. They just got it from the new public works bill that Congress approved late Friday night.
After the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act was approved by the U.S. House, Oregon’s congressional delegation released what our state will get from it.
The bill was voted on, and it passed. Nine Democrats and 13 Republicans voted yes. The bill is now done and will be given to our President for his signature.
“There is a need for action in Oregon. The state-level data shows that the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act will help Oregon. For many years, there has not been sufficient investment in infrastructure in the state. The American Society of Civil Engineers gave Oregon a C- on its report card for infrastructure. The historic Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act will make life better for millions of people in Oregon, create good jobs with high incomes, and improve the economy in the United States so we can win this century’s competition between nations around the world” The White House said that after the bill passed.
According to the releases, Oregon will get these amounts in these categories:
- Invest $747 million in public transit.
- The United States will give $529 million to improve access to safe drinking water.
- The city has $268 million to spend on the bridge. That is how much it will cost.
- The city spent $211 million on airport improvements.
- The Govt. is giving $100 million for internet expansion.
- The company will spend $52 million to expand the electric vehicle charging station network.
- The government is giving $39 million to help people who live near wildfires. This will help protect them.
- The government is spending $15 million to protect against cyber attacks.
The releases did not say which agencies and projects would be funded. More details should come out in the next few weeks.
Congressman Blumenauer said ____.”I helped to make an investment that will provide families with the things they need. This is something that has never been done before. I am proud of what I have accomplished in this bill, and it includes provisions that will help Oregon have a better public transit system, safer streets, lead-free schools, protection from wildfires, and more people who don’t have internet access. We still have more work to do. We need to make a lot of money and we need to spend it on people (infrastructure). But we will get this done and America can afford it.”
Congressman Kurt Schrader says that his bipartisan group helped to reach this milestone. When talks broke down among the White House and Senate, they stepped up and made major investments in infrastructure systems possible.